Shutter Monkey

Shutter Monkey Shoots... Shutter Monkey Scores

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

"It Was a Wednesday"

Am I the only one who has noticed the recent influx of ambiguous statements and trendy multiple-meaning slogans on t-shirts, bags, cars, etc? The quote above is from a t-shirt on-line. Why are these cool? Why?? Perhaps people want to be mysterious or these strange statements are funny in some way. People seriously need to stop wearing garments that proclaim "Because I can" or "C is for Crunk." These lame shirts are one step away from the kitsch that is "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor" and other tourist t-shirt wit. I blame Urban Outfitters, despite my own patronage of the store, for introducing t-shirts such as "Idaho? No, U-daho" and those "Everyone loves a ____ Girl" tees. The situation has gotten out of hand.

This site has an entire contest devoted to discovering the best meaningless slogans for t-shirts. What is the criteria for this? Most ambiguous? Most lame? I think the latter. Some day, we will all be wearing shirts with gems such as "i love music." and "Words mean things." You see someone in a shirt like this and you think, "Oooo, where did he get that, he is SO funny and fresh. I want my own meaningless-yet-somehow-there-is-hidden-meaning t-shirt!!" People are going to begin relying on these masterful pieces of wit pulled out of someone's ass for their own self-expression. At least come up with it yourself and say it, instead of wearing it. For how long can "It Was a Wednesday" remain entertaining?

*Disclaimer* This post does not serve as a dis for anyone who prefers, has bought, or admires such attire. Nor do the views expressed in this post preclude my ability to frequent said purveyors of merchandise or purchase said attire at any place, date or time.
I think I'm ready for law school.