Shutter Monkey

Shutter Monkey Shoots... Shutter Monkey Scores

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Gym-nice-tics!

I was once a great gymnast. In an age called the "'80s" at a mystical place called "Tumble Cats" in "Columbus, Ohio." But, alas, I grew beyond 5 feet around the age of 12 and my career was over. Seriously, though, I was obsessed with gymnastics. I absolutely loved the feeling of the sport and was beginning to be trained by past Olympians when my parents were like, "All-day practice for how much? No thanks." It was for the best.

In the not so distant past at a place called "college," I practically turned into the UCLA gymnastics team's personal photographer. I travelled with them, created a full-page photo essay on the team, and loved photographing them, perhaps more than I loved competing in the sport itself.

Finally, I must admit I find guilty pleasure in "Bring It On."

Thus, you can imagine my exaltation when I saw an ad for "Stick It." I remember both how badly I wanted to have "stuck it" when I landed on my ass on vault during my first meet. And I loved how the UCLA girls' voices would all overlap as they encouragingly shouted "stick iiit!" when their teammate was about to fly off the bars.

I am excited and I will be seeing the movie should any other closet gymnastics or "Bring It On" fans wish to join me.

Remember, it's not called "Gym-nice-tics." Hardcore.

(Oh, and for the guys, Jeff Bridges plays their coach.)