Shutter Monkey

Shutter Monkey Shoots... Shutter Monkey Scores

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I am Now Afraid of Copyrights

So I had to call the Copyright Office today in D.C. and the bureaucracy was quite frightening. I was inquiring about an affidavit we sent for a client over a year ago (I wasn't even working here yet) requesting changes to a copyright which were apparently never made. So I call, trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about and I can't even explain what I need. The lady's like "Did you file a CA form, what is the name of the document?" I'm like, "Must... formulate some... response." All I had was the client's name, some of their songs and a light grasp of the situation. Basically, I got no where and I won't be able to get my boss to talk to the Copyright Office since he has an aversion to doing things himself.

The moral of the story: I was interested in copyrights, but now I'm a bit wary. Looking through this client's file, I found a response letter from the CO Office, which had a little sticker on it with a barcode! They must barcode and track the rats in their office... Be afraid, be very afraid.